Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wall Sculpture Scale Up




I’m really excited about this piece I’m working on. It’s been a while since I constructed a wall sculpture and I want to try out some new materials. I’m experimenting, talking with manufacturers of boards, metal, fasteners, and paint, trying to find the match between my original idea and the materials.

Digitalized enlarging from the original outlines of the watercolor sketch creates some fuzzy and haphazard edges. The idea is to translate the impact of the original and enhance the whole for the intended response. Each piece individually as well as it’s placement next to the other 11 pieces has to work.

I cut out all the 12 pieces in blue paper to arrange on the wall. The top 7 pieces are working, but I’ll have to work on the three pieces in the middle. I haven't even gotten to the bottom piece yet in this picture. With everything blue, there is no conflict to the eye from variations of color, value, or surface. It’s all about composition and patiently slogging through to what Goldilocks described as, “It’s juussst right.”

1 comment:

Vicki Brevell said...

Terri,
Love your new blog and all the new things you are doing!! Yes, I appreciate all kinds of experimentation and your new ideas are very exciting. Keep up the good work. I just signed up to receive your posts.
Hugs,
Vicki