Saturday, December 11, 2010

Wall Sculpture & Scroll Saw













I’m moving forward with the Aquabord experiment and decided to invest in a new scroll saw to get cleaner, more intricate cuts. Of course, following the

directions written by a non-native English speaker made the supposedly 20 minute setup time take an hour and a half. It was worth it. The scroll saw makes a beautiful edge when cutting with patience and I love it. My dog, Emma, thought it wasn't as much fun as being outside.

There’s a couple pieces I have been concerned about being able to cut with my scroll saw because it has a stationary arm that can get in the way, and large pieces of board can become flexible arms dangling about while cutting and moving in all different directions. With practice, my technique is improving even though it is very challenging to maneuver and stay true to the design. I cut out one of the two trickiest pieces: the intricate, large, bottom piece of the 12 piece design. Still to be cut is the large backing piece and it is very long with many cuts requiring a lot of rotating. I really don't want to go with a rectangle, frame-like, board behind the pieces for this sculpture. I hope I can get it to work.

No comments: